Vvedensky Cathedral (Cheboksary)is a monumental monument of architecture and is the main symbol of the clergy in the entire Chuvash Republic. The construction of the temple was completed in 1657. The cathedral is the only monument of the XVII century, preserved to our days. The interior decoration of the temple impresses with its splendor. The iconostasis and some of the frescoes were preserved from the XVII-XVIII centuries. Of particular value is a freestanding bell tower. And although it was repeatedly repaired, the basic outlines were still preserved in their original form until our time.
May 26, 1555 Russian Tsar Ivan IV the Terribletook the decree, having previously received the blessing of Metropolitan Macarius of Moscow that the Archbishop of Kazan and Sviazhsky, Guriy, begin to conduct divine services in Cheboksary and build a temple there. The next day, Guri and his close companions went to the newly opened Kazan diocese. In all the villages that the ministers passed, they were greeted with their magnificent triumph and the procession of the cross.
At the end of July 1555 the Archbishop and his companionsarrived in the place where the city of Cheboksary should have been. The first order, which Guriy gave, was the erection of a cathedral church on top of a mountain. He himself installed a canvas church church here and sprinkled holy water around the future city, thereby indicating its horizons. The Vvedensky Cathedral (Cheboksary) became the basis for the creation of the city.
In the marching church of Guria was the onlyicon of the Mother of God. The Archbishop served her first Divine Liturgy. After that, all the inhabitants could receive the blessing of the Virgin. The icon of the Most Holy Theotokos of Vladimir with the baby is still on the territory of the cathedral and is the most important and revered shrine of the church.
Later the linen church was replaced by a wooden cathedral.Almost nothing is known about the interior of the temple. In the center stood a small iconostasis. The main object of worship was the icon of the Mother of God of Vladimir. Also there were several icons of Stroganov letters. Church utensils consisted of two chalices, one of which was donated by Archbishop Guriy, and the other was brought from Persia. Inside the temple was decorated with wooden crowns. One of the walls was decorated with an image of an angel with a casket filled with the relics of holy saints carved into the wall. Virtually none of the above was not saved.
In 1651 the same place was erecteda stone cathedral. It was consecrated by the supposedly metropolitan of Kazan Cornelius I. At first they built only a cold church with the throne of the introduction of the Most Holy Theotokos into the temple. Later in 1657, warm extensions were built, dedicated to St. Sergius of Radonezh and St. Alexius. Near the church a bell-tower was built in the form of a tent. The Vvedensky Cathedral at that time was built of brick and rubble stone. It was built by local masons, led by Nizhny Novgorod masters. The walls and vaults were decided to paint images of holy personalities. Also depicted events from the New Testament. At that time it was the only stone structure in the city. Vvedensky Cathedral (Cheboksary) experienced many difficulties. Its history is unusual.
Later, the church services in the temple wereSuspend, and the cathedral itself - close. But already in 1943 divine services again resumed. In 1945, a large sum was donated to the fund of defense by the rector of the church. This money was used to build a tank column of Dmitry Donskoy.
Prior to 1985, within the limits of Alexy and Kharlampy, the Holy Martyr was a local history museum.
Vvedensky Cathedral (Cheboksary) forthe time of its existence has undergone major overhaul. Nevertheless, its original appearance has survived to this day. Of course, there were small losses. For example, the first tier of the façade was eventually walled in by the outbuildings of the porch.
The interior of the temple is decorated with frescoespaintings, belonging to the era of classicism. The iconostasis is also made in this style. The bell-tower in the form of a tent refers to the buildings of the architecture of the 18th century. It also underwent many changes to perestroika, but it retained its original outlines.
The Vvedensky Cathedral (Cheboksary) became a burial place for two bishops of Cheboksary - Hilarion and Benjamin.
A particularly revered icon of the Vvedensky Cathedral was and remains the icon of the Mother of God of Vladimir. Today it is framed by a silver and gold rhizome. The shrine is located to the left of the royal gate.
Also in the cathedral there were other, not lesssignificant shrines. The icon of Christ the Savior was donated to the Cathedral by Metropolitan Tikhon of Kazan and Sviyazh. The icon is framed with silver and pearls. In 1687, the Georgian king Archil presented metropolitan Tikhon with the image of the Smolensk Mother of God, which he, in turn, presented to the Cathedral of the Presentation of the Virgin. Parts of the relics of the saints Archbishop Guria and his original companions were invested in silver pockets and placed in the icon.
The Vvedensky Cathedral (Cheboksary) is incredibly beautiful. The photo can not fully convey its greatness.