Fondue is an original dish of Swissnational cuisine. Usually it is prepared in a special dish (kettle) on an open fire. The basis of this dish is a melted mixture of different kinds of cheese with spices. In it, using special long forks, dipped bread, olives, gherkins, boiled potatoes or other products. There are different recipes for fondue. Some of them were created many years ago. But if desired, each hostess at home can come up with an original version.
Types of fondue
Before listing all the famous fondue recipes, it is necessary to mention that this dish has several varieties. Depending on the liquid base distinguish:
- Cheese fondue. This is one of the most popular options. The mixture includes three main components: cheese, wine and spices.
- Chocolate fondue.The way of cooking remains the same. However, in this case, the composition of liquid mass in addition to chocolate includes cream, spices, various fruit juices and alcohol (brandy, rum or cognac).
- Coffee fondue. In contrast to the previous version, the cherry liquor is used as the alcohol component. In addition, be sure to add a little freshly ground coffee.
- Caramel fondue. In this case, the mixture is prepared in milk with whipped yolks, starch and rum, and then poured with sugar, melted in boiling water. In this mass, then dipped any fruit or marshmallow.
- Burgundy fondue.In this case, the liquid base is an ordinary vegetable oil. It dipped pre-pickled raw meat. In hot fats, it is baked very quickly. Separately on the plates are served different types of cheeses.
- Chinese fondue.At home, locals call it "ho-ho". Here, too, raw meat is used. True, dunk it already in boiling broth (mushroom or vegetable), and then - in any of the proposed sauces.
All of the above recipes fondue in own way are good. To appreciate the merit of each option, you can try to cook it yourself in a home cooking environment.
Interesting to know
Studying various recipes fondue, you need to know,that this dish has an ancient history. Experts say that it was created in western Switzerland about seven centuries ago. Today officially there are two versions of the origin of this unusual dish. In accordance with the first option, fondues were invented by Swiss shepherds. It happened quite by accident. Going to the mountains to the pastures, they, as a rule, took bread and cheese from their food. Over time, the products became stale. It was extremely inconvenient to eat them. To somehow satisfy the hunger, the shepherds decided to melt the cheese in the pot, filling it with wine. Then in this boiling mass we dipped pieces of dried bread.
But there is another legend.In accordance with it fondue was created by local monks. As you know, during the religious fasts are not allowed to eat cheeses. In the 13th century, a cunning priest named Vakarinus decided to circumvent this ban. He just melted the product and got an unusual cheese soup. After much debate, the monks decided to introduce fondue into the list of dishes allowed to eat during the period of fasting. It is not known which of the two legends is the most truthful, but historians still tend to the first.
Fondue with cheese on a water bath
Everyone can prepare himself a famous fondue. Recipe in domestic or even marching conditions is easy to repeat. This requires the most common ingredients:
- 250 grams of cheese;
- half a glass of white wine;
- 60 grams of flour (or starch);
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (grated);
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 2 grams of mustard.
To prepare this dish, you need to use the following technology:
- Grate the cheese on a medium grater. The mass should not be too shallow. For work it is desirable to take a mixture of 100 grams of Swiss cheese and 150 grams of cheddar.
- If there is no kettle in the house, then you can use the usual water bath. To do this, you need two pans of different diameters. They need to be put one into the other, and the bottom one by ½ is filled with water.
- The upper capacity for the aroma from the inside can be rubbed with garlic. After that, it should be filled with wine, put mustard, spices and a third of cooked cheese.
- Put both pans on fire. As soon as the cheese begins to melt, add the product residues. The mass must be stirred constantly so that lumps do not form.
Hot mix is served to the table directly in the top pan. Nearby it is necessary to put plates with crackers or other products to choose from. Each guest has a separate fork.
Fondue with chocolate
Sweet lovers will definitely like chocolate fondue. The recipe for its preparation is extremely simple. For this, only three main components will be needed:
- 200 grams of any tiled chocolate;
- 20 grams of liqueur (for the children's menu, fruit syrup is used instead);
- 200 grams of cream (they can be replaced with a mixture of butter and milk in a ratio of 1: 3).
Additional products (for serving):
- berries, fruits, nuts, biscuits, cookies, marshmallows or pastilles.
Preparing this fondue very quickly:
- First, we need to deal with additionalingredients. Fresh fruits, for example, need to be washed, dried, and then cleaned and cut into pieces. Cookies can simply be arbitrarily smashed. Buns or marshmallows should also be cut into neat pieces. After that, the products must be placed on separate plates.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan.
- There also throw the chocolate, first breaking it into pieces.
- Put the container in a water bath.Heat with constant stirring until the chocolate is completely dissolved. The pan can be placed directly on the stove. But the mass, reheated on a water bath, will turn out to be more smooth and shiny.
- As soon as the mixture begins to boil, pour the liquor.
After this, another hot aromatic mixturemust quickly be poured into special ceramic dishes. Place it on a stand, and from the bottom, light a spirit lamp or an ordinary candle. This is to ensure that the mass is always warm. Sticking a fork (or skewer) a piece of any of the prepared foods, it will only be to dip it into the chocolate.
Fondue with beer
How else to cook a delicious fondue!? The recipe at home can be thought up by yourself, based on the products available in the kitchen. For example, wine is sometimes replaced with beer. In this case, for a better flavor, it is desirable to take a mixture of three types of cheese. Prepare the dish in a normal saucepan. For such a recipe you will need:
- 250 milliliters of any light beer;
- 180 grams of cheddar cheese, Gruyère and Monterey Jack;
- some black pepper;
- 4 grams of dry mustard;
- one and a half tablespoons of wheat flour.
Method of cooking:
- Pieces of cheese to rub and mix them in a bowl with flour.
- In the saucepan, heat the beer.
- Once it boils, make the fire less. After that gradually fall asleep cheese-flour mass.
- As soon as the products completely melt, and the mixture becomes homogeneous, add pepper and mustard.
- Heat the mixture for three minutes with constant stirring.
- Pour it into kettle and serve with French baguette.
The dish is usually placed in the center of the table. And the guests, armed with special long forks, sit around.
Ardent opponents of alcoholic beverages can alsoprepare yourself fondue. Recipes with photos in this case is not necessary. The standard technology is used for work. True, it has some subtleties. First you need to prepare the main products:
- 150 milliliters of milk;
- 2 egg yolks;
- 300 grams of any soft cheese;
- ground black pepper;
- 50 grams of butter;
- 200 grams of crackers.
Method of preparation of non-alcoholic fondue:
- Cheese cut into cubes, put in a bowl, pour the milk and leave it for a couple of hours in a dark cool place.
- Prepare everything for a water bath.
- Put the cheese and milk in the top pan.
- Add a portion of the butter (about 30 grams) to them and mix well.
- Cook over low heat until the cheese finally melts. It should become a bit lean.
- Introduce the egg yolks, pre-whipped whisk. After this, the mass must be brought back to a boil and warmed a little.
- Add residual oil, salt and a little pepper.
Served in a fondue with a set of forks or long skewers. Crackers can be poured on a separate wide plate.
Connoisseurs of Swiss national cuisine aretry the classic fondue recipe. Cooking dish can be directly in kettle. And you can do it right in front of the guests. But it is better to use special utensils exclusively for serving. And first you need to prepare for work the main ingredients:
- 30 grams of starch;
- 1 clove of garlic;
- 500 grams of Gruyere cheese;
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice;
- 375 milliliters of dry white wine;
- 300 grams of cheese Emmentaler;
- 1 pinch of white pepper and nutmeg;
- 4 tablespoons kirsha;
- 1 loaf of white bread.
To make a real cheese fondue, you need:
- Peeled with a clove of garlic from inside kahelon.
- Separately, the kirsch (strong cherry tincture or liquor) is mixed with the starch. Must get a thick enough sauce.
- With cheese cut the film and crumble it in small pieces.
- In a normal saucepan, heat up three quarters of the measured amount of wine.
- Add the juice of one lemon and gradually, with constant stirring, fill up the chopped cheese. Once it melts, pour the rest of the wine.
- Continuing the heating, put the prepared cherry sauce into the pan.
- For flavor, add a little pepper and nutmeg to taste.
The hot mixture must be poured into kahelon, putit on the burner and serve to the table with a loaf cut into small, even pieces. Before each guest should put a small plate and next to put a special long fork. Today, even original fondue sets for 6 people are on sale.
Fondue with cheese and mushrooms
Italians in their own way prepare cheese fondue.Recipe in home or other conditions to repeat as easily as the classical version. True, in this case the composition of the main mixture will be slightly different. In Italy for the preparation of fondue use:
- 100 grams of champignons;
- 300 grams of any hard and soft cheese;
- 4 eggs;
- 2-3 grams of ground pepper;
- 250 milliliters of milk;
- 100 milliliters of white Italian wine;
- 80 grams of butter;
- 800 grams of fresh white bread.
The technology of cooking Italian fondue:
- Cut the mushrooms into thin slices.
- Cheese grate large.
- Cut the bread carefully neatly into slices.
- First, in the saucepan, you need to melt the cheese.
- Eggs should be thoroughly beaten with milk.
- The resulting mass is slowly poured into a saucepan. The fire should be small so that the mixture does not heat up to more than 60 degrees.
- Alternately add butter, chopped mushrooms and wine.
Now the ready fragrant fondue can only be poured into a special heat-resistant container and eat with pleasure in the company of friends for a pleasant conversation.
Fondue of chocolate with cognac
Despite the standard recipe, each hostesshas the right to make chocolate fondue in its own way. The recipe at home can always be changed a little. The main thing is to make the dish delicious, fragrant and preserve the desired consistency. For example, you can use the following ingredients for its preparation:
- 400 grams of chocolate (2 tiles);
- 180 grams of sweet condensed milk;
- 3 tablespoons of any cognac;
- 20-25 grams of ready-made instant coffee.
The process of preparing fondue consists of the following stages:
- First, the chocolate needs to be melted. You can do it directly in the fondue (kamelone).
- Gradually, one by one add the remaining components.
- Preheat until the mass becomes sufficiently uniform.
Serve this fondue better with fruit platter.Preliminary, the products need to be washed and, if necessary, cut. Then everyone can choose for themselves that it is better to dip into a fragrant mixture: a slice of an apple, a banana, an orange slice, a strawberry or grapes.